My play-through is linked below.
- This is an in-depth tactical RPG with a decent variation of ways to approach situations in each chapter. The conversation system is based on your skills, profession, and even as far as what classes you specialize in. It is to be noted that you can avoid many fights by talking your way out of it or maneuvering your way around threats.
- Focusing certain stats are very important for an effective play-through; basically, you can’t efficiently be a jack-of-all-trades without having to sacrifice some really great abilities and combat skills. Weapon variations are quite nice; you get a choice of many firearms, throwing weapons, melee weapons, grenades & more.
- Deckers (futuristic hackers) are fairly prominent in each installment of Shadowrun. They are able to tap into an immersive, three-dimensional cyberspace that have it’s own defenses such as the potentially brain-destroying artificial intelligences [ICE] or rival Deckers.
- Bioware / Cyberware are modifications that the character can use to augment themselves while expending Essence – Essence consumption is bad for magic users. It is your character’s life-force and if it hits 0, you theoretically die; on the other side, you can reduce negative effects of Essence loss with Cybermancy.
- The main companions are quite intriguing to interact with and certainly don’t seem tacked on; whereas the mercenaries are a bit random and completely unnecessary to use. My favorite companion was Glory, because her story is quite compelling and she’s awesome in combat.
[Plot] Year 2054
- The player starts as a Shadowrunner who has recently come across the anarchic free state of Berlin for a job alongside an old friend, Monika Schäfer. Other members of the team are:
- Dietrich, a former punk rocker turned shaman.
- Glory, a distant woman who has become heavily augmented with cybernetics.
- Eiger, a troll weapons expert and former member of German KSK.
- After you join them, the heist begins; the Harfeld Mansion’s data vault is the target. The team discovers a military compound further inside and has to fight off security; they also run into Audran, a heavily armed and armored Ork as they attempt to escape.
- They return to the safe house and meet their Fixer, Paul Amsel; realizing they had been set up, they track down the client who hired them – a man by the name of Green Winters. The player is, of course made into the new leader and the adventure continues [I would rather leave the rest of the story up for you to enjoy].
[Thoughts] Awesome game; I especially enjoy this series. Perfect for people that like tactical mechanics in a game – somewhat similar to the XCOM series.
Again: play-through is linked below.
- same style & quality as Dragonfall.
- Some items and features were added as well as more advanced Bioware / Cyberware implants; a few really badass weapons in some locations of the game were also added.
- My favorite character in this game was the old Russian, Racter [Rigger class] because his backstory is pretty awesome; he also has a bunch of old stories that are fairly entertaining or just plain interesting. Koschei, which is his robot pet, is technically a part of him and also just as intriguing.
[Plot] Year 2056
- The player starts in a city directly controlled by corporations [no surprise there], the Hong Kong Free Enterprise Zone. Years ago, the player was an orphan in Seattle, along with their best friend, Duncan; they were taken care of by Raymond Black, their foster father.
- The player meets with Duncan in Hong Kong along with his partner, officer Carter. They agree to investigate Raymond’s mysterious message; noting that he has not shown up to meet them, they check the docks for him before being ambushed by the Hong Kong Police Force. They manage to escape to Heoi, a small boat village built on the outskirts of the Walled City; an overcrowded slum built above the ruins of the Old One.
- In Heoi, they go to meet their fixer, the Yellow Lotus Triad crime boss, Kindly Cheng, who offers her protection in exchange for their services as Shadowrunners. Since it is clear that the Hong Kong Police Force is acting on behalf of someone else, Cheng agrees to investigate who targeted them and what happened to Raymond.
[Thoughts] Again, awesome game; great series.
A science fantasy tabletop role-playing game set in a near-future fictional universe in which cybernetics, magic and fantasy creatures co-exist. It combines genres of cyberpunk, urban fantasy and crime, with occasional elements of conspiracy, horror and detective fiction.
A Shadowrun – a successful data theft or physical break-in at a rival corporation or organization – is one of the main tools employed by both corporate rivals and underworld figures.